We thought we would put this information together to help people help birds of prey!
So, if you find a raptor that appears injured or sick, follow these steps:
1. Have a jacket, blanket or towel in hand, or wear heavy gloves.
2. Approach the bird slowly.
3. Cover the bird with the blanket, towel or jacket and pick it up from behind by gently but firmly wrapping your hands around the body making sure to enclose the wings to the body. BEWARE OF THE TALONS (claws)! Even a week bird may attempt to defend itself.
4. Place the bird in a sturdy cardboard box. The box should be just slightly larger than the bird, with ventilation holes and a blanket or towel on the bottom. Be mindful of damage to long tails when choosing a box. If you don't have a box you can wrap the bird in a towel or sheet as you would a baby. Have someone hold the bird while you find a large box.
5. Contact a wildlife centre for assistance. Here are some centers that you could contact: